- Most Cinema 4D plugins come as a simple zip file, which contains everything the plugin needs.
Unfortunately, c4d now needs a new build of each plugin, for every version of Cinema 4D.
its a bit of a mess, but that is how Maxon seems to like it now, so we have to deal with this new reality.
For R20/R21/S22/R23 (or later):
On a MAC?
- Extract the zip using a decent zip tool, The latest versions of Mac Apple decided to quarantine extracted zip content for you inconvenience.
- If you copy past the folder contents, make sure you are not copying a link, but are really copying the files properly to the destination folder.
- Use any third part extractor to extract zip files. The system extractor can cause problems that will drive you nuts.
Some important things to remember:
- In some cases you might need to extract a plugin to your user/plugins folder. This is apparently Maxons preferred plugin location now.You can find the user plugins folder by navigating to
- your preferences and in the bottom left corner of that prefs dialog, there is a button to show your C4D user folder in explorer (or finder)
- on Mac it is now recommended, that you install plugins in prefs/plugins as apposed to app/plugins.
- Cineware (C4DLite) does not support plugins !
- On Win 10, you should probably start using something like 7Zip to extract files. The system extractor can cause problems that will drive you nuts.
- On a Mac, make sure safari is not unpacking files when you download them. This can result in safari quarantining plugin files, which will drive you nuts. There is a safari setting to change this behavior. you do not want to unpack trusted files on download.
- Older plugins, compiled with older versions of cinema4d, wont work in R20 or later, without a specific, for your version of Cinema4D.
- All you need to do, is extract the zip file to your plugins folder, and restart Cinema4D.
- TIP: You might be able to use a plugin bridge to get older plugins to load into your version of Cinema4d. This generally will not work for shader plugins, but for modifiers,generators,tags it might work, if the plugin is not too complicated.
- in all versions pre R20, it is enough to extract the plugin to the plugins folder which is already present in your Cinema4d folder.