Start a new topic
Answered

Using ASC-Tiles...

Hello,

i have 100 ASC Tiles as representation of a high detail region. Is it possible to use this like the data that DEM downloads from the internet, to view parts of this region with zoom and level of detail...?

regards

Jürgen

Best Answer

You can either embed an asc data , or create a static mesh from it. you can.t currently use it as a tile source. But I will look into adding this in the future.

the best solution would be to bring them all into global mapper, reproject them, and then save them out as a single asc at a sensible resolution.

Yes, Cinema... but i want to work with the 3D-Data, or parts of it.
Rendering ist not the goal. The "level of detail" features of DEM Earth would be great...

not a practical solution.

are you using C4D render engine?

The reason why i ask, is because, several years ago, in the precursor to DEM Earth, I wrote a bunch of shaders and packaged them as 'Gigashader' toolkit. That didn't go well, as it was far too difficult for people to set up, and it was a nightmare getting data. However, The 2 core shaders, where, and still are, from another planet.  There was a shader called the RAW shader, which read data from disk at render time. it was able to use terabyte size data sets, with practically no size limitation, no memory usage, and next to no speed hit. At the time, nobody seemed to understand what it was good for and I ended up killing, RAW shader and the entire project. Nowadays, more and more users are trying to throw very large data sets at c4d, and this IMO this shader could become relevant again, again, with an audience that might what its advantage is. The main issue however is this new shift towards third party render engines.Further reducing the relevance of c4d shaders. 

My question to you would be, how important is this to you?

Hello Paul,
i have the hole map as geometry in Cinema. But then i would need up to 60GB memory to work with :-)
My idea was, to convert the tiles to a format like the downloaded tiles and save them to the DEM-Cache...
I just dont know, if there is a format beside the 30m and 90m with 1m accuracy......... ?????

Jürgen

Answer

You can either embed an asc data , or create a static mesh from it. you can.t currently use it as a tile source. But I will look into adding this in the future.

the best solution would be to bring them all into global mapper, reproject them, and then save them out as a single asc at a sensible resolution.

Login or Signup to post a comment