Start a new topic
Answered

zooming from country size to city detail

Hi There, just bought DEM Earth and loving it, thanks! Was trying to work out what the workflow is for doing a zoom from Country size map (Ie UK) down to city size map (ie Birmingham)? Do I need to generate two separate tiles (One with low rez data, and one with high rez and buildings)? Or can I achieve it all by 'zooming' on the one tile in DEM Earth and having the data amounts adapt as I zoom? I'm getting some hints from the forum about using ASC (?) datasets but all my data is being generated by DEM Earth and I can't find an 'export' function. I've found the cache coverage object but can't work out what it does. I'm wondering If i need to convert one tile to a polygon object with the texture baked and cut and paste onto the larger tile. But then how do i make the tile obey the scaling for the zoom within the larger tile?

Very confused, any help/advice/workflow rundowns gratefully recieved.. 8)

Cheers!

Aslan

Best Answer

zoom out as far as you need to.

get your imagery. (lower level)

zoom in

get your imagery at a higher resolution (higher level)

zoom in some more

get your imagery at a much higher resolution (very high level)

you can not do an entire country at level 17. you dont have that much ram, and c4d could not deal with it.

the layers will be on top of each other. you can also use some blending in your materials to soften the outline of each level, against the previous level.

regards

1 person has this question

make sure you only use 90m Data for large areas.

zoom out.

> how do i make the tile obey the scaling for the zoom within the larger tile?

I am not sure I understand your question.

simply zoom out. a country such as the UK or Germany will be fine. But not the entire USA !! or all of Russia,  you don't have that much ram, and should do things of that size with images, not real height data.

DEM Earth is not google earth.

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply! Always simpler than one thinks it is- I was over thinking it, was assuming I would need 2 resolution levels... Will give it a go!

Thanks!

PS. Thank god DEM Earth is not Google Earth.

Answer

zoom out as far as you need to.

get your imagery. (lower level)

zoom in

get your imagery at a higher resolution (higher level)

zoom in some more

get your imagery at a much higher resolution (very high level)

you can not do an entire country at level 17. you dont have that much ram, and c4d could not deal with it.

the layers will be on top of each other. you can also use some blending in your materials to soften the outline of each level, against the previous level.

regards

Login or Signup to post a comment