Start a new topic
Answered

Need advice about DEM Earth, hi res textures and Graphic card memory

First I have to admit that I'm a novice with Cinema 4D, so excuse me in advance if you find my questions are from a total noob. :-) 

I have downloaded hi res pictures and I use them as tiles textures for DEM Earth. Each picture is approximatively 500 MB. I have noticed that the maximum number of pictures I can apply to a scene are between seven or height, before Cinema 4D or my Graphic Card driver crashes.

My Nvidia graphic card has 3Gb of memory, so I think the crashes are related to that limit. Am I right ?

Is there a solution to bypass that limit ?

I guess buying a Graphic Card with more memory is one of them, but which Graphic Card would you recommend for working with Hi Res textures in Cinema4D on a PC ?

And without changing the Graphic Card, is there a plugin available for Cinema 4D that permit to bypass that limit ? Or using an external renderer like V-Ray ?

Or maybe using a Render farm ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Pierre

Best Answer

there are physical limitations to what cinema4d can manage as image textures. The graphics card is the limiting factor.

C4D is limited to 256 materials. but I don't think there is any real limit at render time. what you can do is simply reduce the resolution of the preview.

This is not a DEM Earth issue, it is a C4D texture management issue. 

1 person has this question

Answer

there are physical limitations to what cinema4d can manage as image textures. The graphics card is the limiting factor.

C4D is limited to 256 materials. but I don't think there is any real limit at render time. what you can do is simply reduce the resolution of the preview.

This is not a DEM Earth issue, it is a C4D texture management issue. 

Pierre,
Im curious, how did you correlate (register) your 500mb image to the Geometry Dem Earth provided of that region...

Hi Roger,

I'm using 'Ultimate Maps Downloader' to download Imagery and generate a corresponding ESRI World File. Then you simply open the World file in Cinema 4D and DEM Earth make the magic happens.  :-)

Pierre

Login or Signup to post a comment