Start a new topic
Answered

Extruding Cities from Dem Earth 2 is great… but how do you texture it?

Extruding Cities from Dem Earth 2 using open street map is great… but how do you texture it and can you texture it so that it is acurate?

Best Answer

there are other posts on this. there is also a solution describing how to texture the walls.(see dem earth 2)

use the groups option in the smart extruder.

use your own textures, with mograph multishader, or my kendo shaders.

Paul

1 person has this question

R3 adds much better uv controls for the extruder.

so if i wanted to export 3 groups (caps, sides, and base), i have to set groups to "3", and enable selection generation?

i've been bringing the OBJ into maya, (after CSO), and the selection sets are intact, however when i do it this way (rather then directly exporting the DEM S.E. object), I lose the top-down UVs to use with the map.

I also split the object based on tag, ungrouped all three (the polygon meshes), but when i export the OBJ to maya, all the unwanted meshes still come in (and again, after splitting it up based on tags, i lose the UVs).

I've read the documentation carefully, but am still lost ... can you tell me how to export the top, sides, and base meshes to another program, whilst preservering the UVs?

Thanks very much.

Matt

https://c4d.freshdesk.com/solution/categories/115092/folders/4000004750/articles/4000022258-smart-extruder-help

groups has to be greater than one.  then you are just using something like multishader to reference a shader to each group.

thanks paul.

i did watch the video, but i don't see where the tags are listed ... i want to use the selection tags (base, caps, sides, etc) to split the object into separate polygonal meshes.

is there a way to view all the tags created via DEM Earth's "create selections" parameter?

did you look at the article on the smart extruder?.Its not difficult to do. you need you use groups, and the selection tags they give you, You can also do it procedurally using either mograph multishader, or our Kendo shaders.  

https://c4d.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/4000022258-smart-extruder-help

there is also a video on this topic.

yeah, google uses StreetView and collected data to project automagically :(

how do you use the groups parameter of the SmartExtruder to isolate just the sides?  I've not been able to set a filter for this successfully...

maybe this is a job for a custom shader....

to do it accurately, you would need photos, of all the buildings, from all sides. so pretty much impossible, unless you have google like resources.. 

Get/Make some building facade textures.

There is no automated process, or resource to obtain the sides of buildings. Google do it via photography, and have unlimited resources(money and people) to make that happen.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I see where you can put a texture on the OSM after extrusion. I guess my real question is how to accurately texture the sides of buildings and not just give it a random color or texture. Any ideas?

Answer

there are other posts on this. there is also a solution describing how to texture the walls.(see dem earth 2)

use the groups option in the smart extruder.

use your own textures, with mograph multishader, or my kendo shaders.

Paul

Login or Signup to post a comment